Friday, July 24, 2015

CATALINA TUESDAY JULY 21: CORINTHIAN SPIRIT

July 21, 2015
CORINTHIAN SPIRIT

In the mid 80’s I moved to Santa Cruz for one single reason.  It is an awesome surf city!  After my first summer of no waves, I yearned for something to “get my ya-ya’s” during the summer months.  I bought my first Hobie Cat and found what a turn on sailing is.  Surfing was still my all consuming passion.  I stepped through many frozen puddles at the crack of dawn to get empty waves.  Ultimately, the lure of the waves lost its luster for me because of all of the “idiots” in the water.  I was drawn to sailing because of the predominance of the “Corinthian Spirit”.  I tired of dealing with 18year olds that wanted to fight it out on the beach after they would burn me on a 3 foot wave.  There was no comparison to the experience I got from my sailing partners, who were always offering words of encouragement and giving pointers on how to improve.

Sailing has always been known for its Corinthian Spirit.  A few summers ago, I assisted the race committee in the North American 505 Championships.  At the national championship level, you would think that some of the Corinthian spirit would dissipate.  I was astounded coming down to the lower parking area to find all of the competitors sitting in a huge circle.  Imagine 50-70 people sitting in a circle while the top sailors are offering tips on improving their sailing and results!  This is a key example of the Corinthian spirit that draws me to sailing.  Now I would not expect Dean Barker and Jimmy Spithill to be trading secrets over beers.  Big money can dampen the Corinthian spirit.

I challenge anyone to offer another sport that has a Corinthian spirit like sailing.  Look at all of the sports fanatics when their team wins or loses.  Terms like “WE DOMINATE!” or “WE KICKED ASS” are common.  Sailing is not like this.  Though there was tremendous patriotic spirit when Oracle won the Americas cup, EVERY SAILOR showed tremendous respect for Dean Barker and his team. 

What does the Corinthian Spirit entail?  I would think it would always be to compliment people that have sailed with and against you.  The boats that did not win should compliment the winners.  Winners should graciously accept the compliment.  Of course there is a certain bravado that occurs on the boat of victors.  The high fives and congratulations exchanged between crew members for a race well sailed.  Off the boat, humility should be the rule.  When people compliment and ask about your tactics or how you did this or that to win, be willing to discuss the aspects of the race that allowed you to dominate.  This is the Corinthian spirit.  

It is very rewarding to me to see everyone pick up their game.  The starts are much more interesting as the season progresses as everyone improves.  It is always exciting to have 4 boats rounding a mark in close quarters even after 4 miles of race course.  Vance has improved her boat with Homer’s work improving bottom defects.  Pacific Spirit got a folding prop.  One by one, each boat is doing what it takes to improve.  This is a good thing.

Sailing Mentors

We have all had sailing mentors.  It is said that Ernie Rideout taught and mentored literally thousands of sailors.  He will certainly be missed.  I am guilty of using mentors.  I have some very good sailors on my boat that I learn from constantly.  The week before last, Mike Gross was on my boat suggesting we tack over early to the inside.  I negated his suggestion, thinking it better to at least clear the pier when we did tack.  While we did moderately well, we would have done better if I had followed his suggestion.  The following week, Mike was not on board and we were presented with an identical situation.  I tacked over early and we did much better.  The point is: Mentors are there to teach, you’d better be learning because they will not always be there.  Most of our boats on Catalina Tuesdays have a mentor on board, so learn while you can.  Of course if your competitive spirit is excessive, you can always only race when your “ace-in-the-hole” mentor is on board.  Many of the sailors that Ernie mentored learned from the master and went on to win national championships in their class.

OTHER REGATTAS:

As I said, everyone is picking up their game.  It is one thing to do well in our informal Tuesday night races.  Why not show your improvement in a sanctioned race.  Big Brothers Big Sisters will be August 9.  Let’s all participate and show our improvements, you may even get some hardware (Trophy) to take home.  There is also the Fall Score series put on by SCYC that has a Jib and Main division that we all should sail in.

_/)         _/)
I was out of town for the July 21 Catalina Night.  The report I got indicated the order at the end of the race was: Perfect 36 FIRST! Followed by Pacific Spirit, Kicks, Aeolian, the Saber 34 and Tres Santos.  Congratulations to Perfect 36.

THIS COMING TUESDAY (JULY 28) IS BARBECUE NIGHT AT SCYC AFTER THE RACE.  THE CLUB AND BAR WILL BE OPEN.  BRING YOUR FAVORITE GRILLING FOOD TO SOCIALIZE WITH OTHER CATALINA TUESDAY PARTICIPANTS.

I am looking forward to next Tuesday’s sail.

Barry Keeler
Sailing Pair A DIce


No comments:

Post a Comment