Friday, June 17, 2016

June 14, 2016: PLENTY OF WIND I HEAR

JUNE 14, 2016: PLENTY OF WIND I HEAR

The traffic was insane on the way to the harbor and the wind was strong to say the least.  Leading up to this evenings sail many of my crew were occupied with other duties.  Vacations, regatta committees and just not able to make it.  I was wondering how I was going to sail in so much wind with minimal crew.  I had a very experienced sailor joining me for the first time and the always trusty Stefan was also at the boat.  The prospects of three of us holding the boat down in all of this wind seemed dubious.

I hear it was a wonderful sail with a lot of wind.  As it turned out, while everyone was out sailing and having fun, I was reacquainting myself with the employees at the emergency room after an accident while leaving the slip.  Every accident seems incredibly stupid looking back on it.  Just like analyzing your tactics in a race, reviewing events leading to an accident can improve your odds of preventing repeat errors.

Every sailor has their routine in doing things.  There is no right way or wrong way as long as it works. For me, when I leave a slip I like to give a lot of throttle.  This helps deploy my folding prop and gets the boat moving in very little time.  Once the boat is moving, I find I can idle the engine and put it in neutral.  This minimizes the effect of prop walk and a moving boat is always easier to control especially in heavy winds like we had this night.  These finer nuances of how I operate my boat could be a surprise to someone who has never sailed with me.  What with being late because of traffic, I did not apprise my crew of my procedures. Long story made short, I ended up in a position where the dock line hooked onto the stern cleat with my finger trapped.  I could not figure why it was hurting so much and finally decreased throttle and put the engine in neutral.  What concerned me was that the finger caught was my ring finger.  Though the gash was deep there was no swelling. My wedding band could become a tourniquet if swelling started.  My main goal was to get the ring cut off.  Not exactly the time to be considering a night sailing. I am the only one to blame and I am very lucky that my stupidity caused my injury and that no one else was hurt. Ring cut off and 4 stitches was the penalty I paid.

The lesson I learned was to always inform your crew how you do things on your boat.  The way I operate my boat could be characterized as erratic to the uninitiated, but it works for me.  Plan and discuss everything beforehand just like you would do for a mark rounding on the course.  It is no time for surprises especially if short on crew.

Other things I have learned over the years.  When I first got my boat someone placed an old cooler which we used as a step to get on the boat.  It worked for a while until a crew member disappeared into the water as the cooler collapsed as I was leaving the slip. Lesson learned: Use items for their intended purpose.

We always try to center my martec prop.  It is critical to put the transmission in gear to stop the shaft from freewheeling, otherwise fingers can get mangled.

On Pair A Dice, the mainsheet trimmer always announces “SAILING BY THE LEE” since accidental jibes are possible.  This lets everyone know  to keep their head down.  Also mainsheet trimmer announces when gybing “JIBING! HEADS DOWN!”.  All crew should be aware of the point of sail when returning to the cockpit from the foredeck.   If the boat is in the middle of a tack or jibe  and you are behind the mast on the windward side of the boat, you are in a dangerous position. It is very easy in the excitement of racing to forget the most basic safety rules.
Boating can be very fun, but it is not without it’s danger.  I would like to open this for a group discussion.  Please comment with things you have learned about safety.
 
Phil Worthen Memorial Event:
Sailing Pair A Dice made it out for the Phil Worthen memorial on June 12.  It was incredible to see about 30 boats out and another 30 surfers paddle out for this event.  Phil certainly affected a lot of people and will be missed.









Monterey and Back regatta:
We are one month away from one of my favorite regattas.  July 16 and 17 is when the Monterey and Back regatta is being held this year.  Talking to the regatta organizers, they would like to see the Catalina group represented in this regatta.  With enough boats, we could have our own class established for this race.  I did this race last year and will attest that it is very fun.  The Monterey Yacht club hosts us and Monterey is a beautiful venue to sail to and back.  Lets talk this up with other Catalina owners that you know.


 See you next Tuesday.

Barry Keeler
Sailing Pair A Dice

No comments:

Post a Comment