Saturday, April 1, 2017

March 27, 2017: A STERN RE-VIEW

A STERN RE-VIEW

With my wife’s grandiose plans for a long vacation, tonight’s sail was going to be my last for a while.  The forecast for wind looked good with people commenting all day long about how blustery it was outside.  Would the 155 jib be too much?  It seemed that I was getting multiple text messages and phone calls with one question: “Do you have room for one more on your boat?”  I never discourage people from coming out on Tuesday nights, but when I showed up and we had about a dozen people looking for rides, I was feeling the pinch.  Thankfully one more boat was going out which lightened the load for everyone.  Barbecue night and finally a night with wind was stoking the crowd.  The wind was flowing in puffs basically from the North.

I have worked hard my whole life and have followed all the rules so I am not accustomed to getting stern reviews.  Little did I know what a stern re-view I was in for on this night! 

As I fumbled through the courses, it is amazing anyone understood my gibberish, but the communication was finally made: Start, Gov, Finish.   My mind had slipped off on vacation early I guess. Thanks to Kathy for calling to clarify that the final mark was to be taken to port, the way we normally finish on the run from gov to the start mark finish. Chris Hoffman was kind enough to set a start mark for us which was basically square to Black point.  I did not count the boats but it seemed like about a dozen.

Everyone was milling around for the start.  On our first run toward the start we felt we were too early so we tacked back for a second run.  At the start many boats seemed to be late to the line with Pair A Dice being the latest of all.  Variable, puffy, unpredictable winds and being last in line was not working.  We thought we saw more wind toward shore and tacked over to get inside and to get clean air and got headed so badly that we were actually sailing away from Gov.  I am sorry, but we were so far back and so intent on sailing our boat, I did not see who rounded Gov first.  Talk about a stern view!  We were last to round Gov and then we were getting our stern Re-view as all boats were ahead of us. 

Most of the boats sailed inside and about three of us decided to gamble on running outside. On a night as unpredictable as this, anything was worth a try.  All of the boats that went inside had to buck the waves to get back to the mark.  Many people were claiming victory and I am sorry I missed the barbecue because I am sure there were some interesting discussions.  The guys on my boat said they were going to tell everyone that I was so humiliated I was selling my boat and moving to Kansas!  It was bad, but not THAT bad!  

Aside from being such a stern re-view, losing on a Tuesday night can be a beneficial experience if you analyze and learn from your experience.  So this is my post- race analysis of my errors.

1)          Know your start line!  I did not analyze this element at all before the race.  I should have done a line sight to set up a range to tell when we were on the line.  This is the only way to properly estimate such a long line and one that is new to our group.  Another way to do this would be to have someone with a puck compass knowing the bearing to Black point to give an estimate to how close you are to the line.
2)      When wind is coming in puffs, they will invariably hit you at the wrong time like when you are trying to start!  I should have dumped sails to slow down rather than tack back as I did.
3)      Focus on the race.  My mind was obviously not on the race, and my poor steering showed it.  Anyone trying to follow the course instructions I gave on the radio could tell I was already on vacation.
4)      I believe I was correct in tacking over for the “more wind” further toward shore.  When in last place you are forced to gamble and go for fliers and this one did not work to our advantage.   In short this was an unpredictable night for all of us and I just made bad predictions. 

I will be gone for a few weeks on a different kind of cruise.  My boat will be going out and hopefully she can do better in my absence.

Have fun sailing on Catalina Tuesdays.


Barry Keeler

No comments:

Post a Comment